ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT TOXIC MOLD
There is no place that mold is absent even inside the house, brick wall, and outside the house, like the garden. Its presence is noticed by the blackening of any surface it appears on. Inside the house mold is found anywhere moisture is present which can be in the kitchen sink drain and sponge, potted plants, shower grout, etc.
Though mold can be found everywhere, it is not a cause to panic when you see a little patch of it. In that stage, cleaning is done easily with a mixture of water and bleach. It is important to note that any mold at all have the potential of making someone sick. This potential is even higher in person that have allergies and asthma. It is always safer to use protective gloves and face masks while dealing with them. Ensure also that the place is well ventilated.
Fact About Mold
The infamous Stachybotrys chartarum is known also as black mold but it is not toxic, rather it has the ability to produce mycotoxins. Black mold is feared because of its apparent dangerous effect on man.
This is so because of many reports from websites and written articles that it is a plague that has terrifying symptoms such as memory loss or idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage.
However, the official report from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) differs significantly from the speculation from reports making waves in the news. For one, officials in CDC believes that symptoms being associated with black molds like memory loss or idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage are rare and the link between a toxigenic and those conditions haven’t been proven at all. Irrespective of that, all types of mold should be treated as health impediment and be removed using safety Procedures.
Unlike other household molds, black mold is rare in the house because it requires a lot of moisture to survive and thrive. Therefore, it is rarely seen together with other types of household mold. You should be worried more about fixing your house if it is leaking due to a broken roof, broken pipe or outright poltergeist, rather than fret about black mold which should be the least of your worries.
You need to know that the presence of mold in your house is pointer to a leak in the house which is allowing moisture inside and which must be fixed for you to be free of mold. There is no need of confirmation from anyone if you see or suspect a black stain in your house to be mold, fix it by cleaning it off. Try to also locate the moisture inlet and close it to prevent future occurrence. You need to make hay while the sun shines because even the so-called non-toxigenic mold can cause an allergic reaction.
Prevention of Mold
All type of mold needs three basic elements to survive: moisture, food i.e. dirty and, a surface to grow on. The easier way to prevent molds are:
- Keep your house as dry as possible so that mold doesn’t see any moisture to flourish with. Mold will never come to a house that is dry and well ventilated.
- Cultivate the attitude of cleaning your house especially the bathroom and kitchen part that moisture abounds Try to also keep it well ventilated, clean and dry.
- Keep all surfaces such as tile grout, sink drain, walls and shower curtains neat and dry.
Removal of Mold
- A mixture or solution of water and bleach is recommended for cleaning and removing mold from a hard surface found inside the house.
- For surfaces outside, a pressure washer is advisable, remember to seal up the leak properly after cleaning.
- For a soft and porous surface like furniture, it is better to dispose off the affected material before the mold spreads and cause” more harm.
For houses that are heavily infested by mold, like a flood-ridden house, the services of a professional is needed before such a house can be inhabited. According to the Federal Emergency Agency, children, the aged, pregnant women, people who have immune system problem or respiratory problem like asthma, or allergies are more at risk from the effect of mold.
Lastly, don’t panic when you notice mold in your house and remember to protect yourself while cleaning mold.